Badshahi Mosque a Mesmerizing Splendor
Badshahi mosque is one of the few significant architectural monuments built during Emperor Aurangzeb's long rule from 1658 to 1707. Right now Badshahi Mosque is the fifth largest mosque in the world and the second largest mosque in South Asia.
Its beauty, elegance, and scale exemplify Mughal’s cultural achievement like no other monument in Lahore can barely have such remarkable splendor.
The architecture and design of the Badshahi Mosque closely resembles that of the smaller Jama Mosque in Delhi, India, which was built in 1648 by Aurangzeb’s father and ancestor. Its design was inspired by Islamic, Persian, Central Asian and Indian influences. Like the charm of its founder, the Mosque is bold, vast and majestic in its expression.
The steps leading to the Main Prayer Hall and its floor are in Sang-e-Alvi (variegated marble). The Main Prayer Hall is divided into seven sections by means of multi-foil arches supported on heavy wharves. Three of which bear the double domes finished externally in white marble. The remaining four sections are roofed with flat domes.
The interior of the Main Prayer Hall is richly embellished with stucco tracery (Manbatkari), fresco work, and inlaid marble
The skyline is furnished by beautiful ornamental merlons inlaid with marble lining adding grace to the perimeter of the mosque.
The north enclosure wall of the Mosque was laid close to the Ravi River bank, so a majestic gateway could not be provided on that side and, to keep the symmetry the gate had to be omitted on the south wall as well. Thus, a four Aiwan plan like the earlier Jama Mosque in Delhi, could not be replicated at the Badshahi Mosque.
Badshahi Mosque also famous as the ‘King’s Mosque’
it is one of the city's best known landmarks and a major tourist attraction personifying the beauty and grandeur of the Mughal era.